Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default More about humidity and gauges!

On Jan 24, 10:41*am, Mark wrote:
On Jan 24, 10:36*am, N8N wrote:

On Jan 23, 9:03*pm, mm wrote:

More about humidity!

I'm the one in Baltimore with no humidifier.

I finally got a humidity gauge, digital, and it started out at 66F and
24%

Just FYI I got some of the dial type "cigar humidor" hygrometers from
Amazon, just stuck them to the wall in various places around the house
a few years ago. *Did the salt calibration with them and all were
pretty close right out of the box, and cheap too.

nate

what is the "salt calibration"?

I have 2 dial hygrometers and 1 digital. *It looks like they all have
a hard time reading low levels below 30% or so.

The digital one reads in 5% steps below 35% i.e. it can read 35%, 30%,
25% 20%... I have never seen it go below 20%.

Above 35% it reads in 1% steps.

Mark

here's one link

http://www.stogieguys.com/2006/07/st...tion-test.html

basically, a closed container with some damp salt in it will stabilize
at exactly 75% RH at typical room temperatures, so that is typically
used as a calibration point. If you need precise measurements at low
humidity that won't help you much, but if within a few % is OK, the
salt calibration is quick cheap and easy.

nate