Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Pet hates ?

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:49:04 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Oh, there is one area that I won't do any more. I'm no longer able to
the construction work necessary to run CAT5 all over a building. I
contract that out to younger and more suicidal kids, who are usually
grateful for the work and money.

Jeff, that's just because you haven't figured out how to charge your customers
to "run" wireless connections. :-)
Geoff.

I don't get many calls to "install" a wireless router or bridge.
However, almost all my wireless work is cleaning up the mess made by
someone else. Commodity wireless is sufficiently simple that almost
anyone can do it if they follow instructions. Making the decision
whether wireless is appropriate is not so simple. Wireless for
laptops, PDA's, game consoles, some printers, and wi-fi phones are
appropriate. Tivo, Netflix, Blue-Ray players, desktops, and other
high bandwidth devices are not. The nice part of this cleanup type of
work is I can charge almost any fair price. I can't do that on an
initial install.

Incidentally, the reason I didn't want to run wires any more is that I
was taking statins to reduce cholesterol for the last 8 years. The
side effect was ever increasing back aches. They were tolerable for
the first 5 years, but continued to get worse until I was unable to do
many things. I stopped taking statins about a year ago, and had to
wait 6 months for the back aches to mostly go away. I'm now trying to
get back into shape so I can again crawl around under houses running
wires. Meanwhile, it's a good excuse to not get dirty.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D