Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Magnabend

On Jan 24, 9:13*am, "Wild_Bill" wrote:

I haven't looked at a MOT in a long while, but cutting away a primary
winding (or either winding) from the E-core, I think that would leave more
room available for a custom wound bobbin that fills the entire E-core..
making a much stronger electromagnet.. so it would be a determination of
which is the best wire gage to use, and where to get a lot of it, then a
method of carefully winding the bobbin (flat, level layers for the highest
number of windings).

MOT's are cheap. Usually available for nothing from Microwave ovens
that have something wrong with them.

So forget winding. Just salvage a HV winding from another MOT, and
slip it on in place of the primary. Connect the two windings in
parallel or series depending what you have for power to energize the
magnet.

Dan