Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Metallic glass now tough, stronger than steel

On Jan 24, 6:58*am, Louis Ohland wrote:
"The first samples of this new metallic glass were relatively small
glass rods just a millimeter in diameter. When Cal Tech researchers
added silver to the microalloy mix, they were able to expand the
thickness of the glass rods to six millimeters. This metallic glass
needs to be rapidly cooled for the final structure, which limits how
large the samples can be."

It looks like we won't be ordering this from Speedy Metals for a time
yet. Sorta like transparent aluminum, eh?

On 1/23/2011 17:22, Pinstripe Sniper wrote:

*wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41192768...science-innova....

And another link:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0110121709.htm

PsS

I can remember this in Popular Science back in the late '60s or early
'70s, was supposed to be The Next Big Thing. Was supposed to replace
all the steel in transformers and be ever so much more efficient
because of no eddy currents, hasn't turned out that way. Still a
loooong way from being a commercial product. Kind of like fusion
power, always 20 years down the road...

Stan