Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

Default Why doesn't my hydrant freeze?

On Jan 23, 8:32*pm, IGot2P wrote:
On 1/23/2011 6:08 PM, Roy wrote:

On Jan 23, 4:48 pm, *wrote:
On 1/23/2011 5:11 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yard hydrants, like fire department hydrants. Very often,
there is a controlling rod, the actual valve is below the
frost line. There should be a drain on the bottom. When the
valve is closed, the water within the vertical pipe drains
into the ground.
* * *http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex641

Of course when the valve is closed the water should drain out of the
weep hole but my hydrant is NEVER closed thus there is always water in
the standpipe from approx. 4' underground up to the top of the hydrant..

Don

==
Well CLOSE it after you use it or someday it will freeze. If we leave
it open up here in the frozen north it will freeze. They are designed
to drain once you close them off.

Stormin' Norman has it right...read his posting and learn.
==

You must be further north than I am because it has been open for 6 years
and has not froze yet (knock on wood). It is not like it is sitting out
in the open, it comes up through the concrete slab floor in a building
that is always heated to 45 degrees F and sometimes up to 68. The only
place that it might freeze would be between the floor and the frost line
which could get as deep as 30".

Don

==
Our frost line is usually at the 4 to 6 foot line and occasionally
deeper.

I doubt if yours will ever freeze considering that there is some heat.
Outside, different story.
==