Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mosler safe combination

On 2011-01-23, David Lesher wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" writes:

[ ... ]

The relock was to defeat the foe with a torch. Of course, you
could cut the drawer front off, but "all locks are time locks;
some just take longer.." is true. And the location was such that
you better be quick AND quiet; otherwise the Marine with a
sidearm and an 870 shotgun would be making sure you didn't have
any need to leave quickly.

:-)

I can't be sure but looking at
http://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/pdf/630-674_8500_ins_op.pdf
has revived old neurons. See the pictures on Page 1. The
lever just above the words "Torque Adjusting Gear" is held
depressed by the back cover;

Yep -- very familiar. What is different is the last stage of
unlocking -- which you covered in the comments at the end.

if it's not pushed in, the other
end blocks the bolt from retracting. When the cover is in place,
no problem. BUT, ISTM the inside of the back cover has the
"solder" button; heat it, it melts and the relock lever moves.
{It's not solder; it was lower temp; an antimony mix or ???}

Babbit bearing metal? One of the low-temperature casting
alloys?

Also note at the bottom of the wheel, you can see
the change clutch. It's the square hole. And
http://cf.mp-cdn.net/78/fe/bd278d79442dd57131a81cf0ed42.jpg is
a change key.

Sure -- very familiar. There were actually several of those
from S&G for different series of locks. The principle was the same, bu
the dimensions varied.

I can't find a better shot but at least
http://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/assets/images/BCB_6730_body.jpg
is in color.

The Mosler ones would probably die from the wheels melting (Delrin, not
the brass layers of the S&G key resettable ones.)

Delrin wheels were options on S&G 8400 & 8500's.

O.K. Just not experienced on the ones which I worked with.

BTW, the 8400 have a thumbturn you twist after entering the
combination; 8500's you PUSH and then turn to open the gate.

Yep -- that is the difference. And it makes it more tricky to
install, based on the manual you pointed to.

Oh yes -- the question about TS in the part which I snipped.
Certainly not in the ones which I worked with, but I don't know about
throughout the lab. I wasn't cleared for TS anyway. (And just as glad,
watching what my wife had to go through. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564