Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Competition for SawStop ?

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 12:16:48 -0500, Bill wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

I certainly agree that the Sawstop is an excellent safety feature. The
Whirlwind looks very good IMHO also. In my own purchases, for various
reasons I usually purchased used tools when it comes to larger items like
tablesaws, so I have to depend on good safety practices more than technology.
But, the legal antics of the Sawstop designer don't sit right with me
either. Suppose Bell or Shoei and the other helmet manufacturers started
lobbying for mandatory helmet use but CAR AND TRUCK drivers. There's no
question it would reduce head injuries, right? Or why not require racing
type 5 point seatbelts?

That latter is a less obnoxious requirement than airbags IMO.

About a year and a half ago, a car turned in front of me, while the
driver was on a cell phone I think, despite my right of way--and I felt
the airbag knock me right in the jaw! I was happy about it too. She
said she didn't see anyone coming...

So, how loud are those things while you're in the car with one
ex-pand/ploding?

The lady who rammed me from behind (bright blue '90 Ford F-150 on the
freeway (I'd slowed for 35mph traffic near an onramp) said she didn't
see me or the FORTY CARS ahead of me, all with our brake lights on. My
dock bumper squashed her Toyota wagon an entire foot shorter. Luckily,
I had my rear slider open and my head had a chance to bounce off both
panes instead of just breaking through the single pane and breaking my
neck. I just got a nasty whiplash (6 weeks off with PT and chiro) out
of it. She had her seat belt on and didn't appear to be hurt.

Most accidents are people who aren't paying a whit of attention to
what they're doing behind the wheel. That said, most people can't
even steer a car, let alone _drive_ one. sigh

--
"I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded
professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who