Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Only one chance to drill tile

Lobster wrote:
On 23/01/2011 11:00, Gordon Henderson wrote:
In ,
john wrote:
Complete novice (and simpleton) needs to drill into two kitchen wall
tiles
to put up a magnetic knife rack. The tiles are ancient, and if i
crack them
or drill out of level tiles could not be replaced with matching ones.

It's also right near the sink where 'she who must be obeyed' will see
it all
day. If i mess up, i'm dead or worse.

I've seen a workman drill into kitchen tiles and initially his drill
goes
'all over the place' until it 'bites'. He's probably had a lot of
experience at this, i'm guessing that for me it would bite in the wrong
place.

Stick a piece of insulating or masking tape on the tile where you're
drilling; that will stop it wandering. May need a couple of layers to
make it thicker.

Grateful for any tips on the 'safest' way for me to drill the tiles.
Thanks.

Get a proper tile drill. Parallel shank with a trangle shaped tip with a
sharp point. Go slow and use that to go through the glaze and most of
the tile, then see what lies beyond - you might then need a conventional
masonry drill.

I used to use an expensive tile drill bit until someone (here I think?)
years ago told me that standard masonry bits work fine.

That's what I've used ever since - and have never broken a tile by
drilling it.

I find the better custom bits wander less. Like my diamond core drill
best. Slow but excellent finish

The only time I *did* once come to grief is by not drilling a hole large
enough, so once the wall plug was inserted and the screw tightened...
CRACK! Be warned

BTDTGTTS
David