Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Competition for SawStop ?

On 1/23/2011 10:06 AM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 1/23/2011 8:26 AM, Swingman wrote:

NEVER, repeat, NEVER put faith in what _any_ salesman tells you,

Always consider motive ...

Whenever I take an interest in some field of endeavor, I try to learn as
much as I can about it, and until I do, I don't open my mouth and claim
to be any sort of expert. As a woodworker and a musician (ok, a DRUMMER)
with several decades of experience under my belt, I do know a thing or
two but I still don't claim to be an expert. Because of those interests,
Woodcraft and Guitar Center are two retail stores where I can sometimes
be found browsing the merchandise. It never ceases to amaze me how
simply being an employee at one of those places automatically makes you
a genius, and I can't count the number of times I've been automatically
treated as a rank amateur by some idiot salesman who thinks he knows
everything. I just love putting people like that in their place. :-)

In custom home building/remodeling, when the client takes it upon
themselves to go into a flooring store, a tile store, a window store, a
cabinet accessory store, an appliance store, a ... ad infinitum, you end
up spending half your time convincing clients that what they were told
by a salesperson, in order to get a sale, is not even close to reality,
as in:

"Sure, that $800 stove vent liner will work just fine above your new
$7,000 stove. No, you don't even need a vent hood, just have your
builder install it in a cabinet, no problem!"

Yeah, right ... first 13 photo's is how that works:

http://picasaweb.google.com/karlcail...JgYOq gKvOVw#

And perhaps worse ... when they _are_ the salesman themselves, as in the
situation when they see something on the internet that:

"... will work so well under that bath vanity that I ordered it!"

Nuff said ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010