Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Competition for SawStop ?

On 1/23/2011 10:40 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:25:09 -0600, Steve Turner
wrote:

On 1/22/2011 10:40 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
In , Larry wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 00:44:37 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 21:53:09 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

SawStop reacts in, what? 3 ms?

They claim 5.

Versus 117ms for the Whirlwind. And you can both use the blade again
and start the saw back up 1 second after the E-stop.

If something slips, your hand can move a *long* way in 117 ms. Remember that
the Whirlwind mechanism won't engage until your hand is *right there* at the
guard -- IOW, when your hand is only inches away from the blade. And moving.
Moving *quickly*.

No thanks.

I agree that Whirlwind is clearly better than no protection at all. But better
than SawStop? No way.

If the Whirlwind ever comes to market, who's to say it couldn't also be

I hope it does.

installed on a SawStop? Breach the Whirlwind's safety zone and the saw begins
the less drastic one-second shutdown, without damage to the hardware; touch the
blade and BOOM. Best of both worlds.

There ya go, Steve! And it only costs $2,000 over the normal cost of
a generic cabinet saw, too! They come with free tinfoil hats, too.

P.S: The tinfoil hats come with rubber holddowns so the wind doesn't
accidentally blow them off. Safety first!

Hey, I never said *I* would buy one. :-) People keep arguing the merits of
one versus the other without ever considering the possibility of them both
being available, so I just thought I'd throw it out there.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.