Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Competition for SawStop ?

In article , lcb11211
@swbell.dotnet says...

"Max" wrote in message
eb.com...
"Leon" wrote

The point I am trying to make is that you should never actually believe
that everything that you know is going to guarantee your safety 100%.
You should always realize that you are human and can make a mistake or
have a lapse in judgement.

I spent 33 years in the FD.
I retired and opened a building inspection business inspecting businesses
for insurance companies. I operated that business for 25 years.
I have a bit of a notion about risk management. (which is the point *I'm*
trying to make)
Every individual has a different level of risk........it's human nature.
Surely you've heard the expression, "He/she is accident prone".
It's actually true. Some people cut themselves more than average. Some
stumble and fall. Some run into things,.... ad infinitum.
In my judgment and in my case only, I consider the SawStop an excessive
expense. For me.
I don't think you can imagine my disgust with the device in the extremely
unlikely event that it "triggered" on a "false" event.
I would be tempted to use a cutting torch on the whole machine. *IF* the
expense of repairs was minimal (less than $50) and the repair time was on
the order of 1/2 hour or less, I *might* be tempted. *Provided* that the
saw itself was, in my opinion, worth the investment.
I don't mean to denigrate the saw or the device. I'm just saying that it
doesn't fit *my* needs.
Anyone else must make their own decision.

Max

I am not trying to sell you any thing and am not suggesting that you buy any
safety equipment. I am only saying that only a naive person thinks that he
knows enough to prevent every possible scenario that could lead to an
accident.

However only a naive person thinks that expensive gadgets will make them
"safe".

The question is what constitutes an acceptable risk. You seem to be
able to tolerate less risk in your life than most people.

Now if you have never ever had an accident or cut yourself with a nife or
any similar object I'd say that you were 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000, but I
doubt you all in that percentile.

And having a Sawstop doesn't guarantee that he won't have an accident.
Might not cut his hand off, but that doesn't save him from tripping and
busting his skull on the table edge.

If you aren't trying to sell anything then quit acting like people who
don't spend every cent they have buying safety equipment are doing
wrong.