Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default Replacing a ceiling

On Jan 23, 4:44*pm, "Phil L" wrote:
Tabby wrote:
On Jan 23, 2:13 pm, "Phil L" wrote:
GMM wrote:
Following a flat roof leak, I have a soggy ceiling with a big split
in it. Now that the roof is being fixed, I'm going to have a bash
at the ceiling myself: It's only about 2 metres each way, so what
could possibly go wrong? (!)

I'm going to tear it down tomorrow and leave it for a week for
everything to dry properly. In replacing, I want to take the
opportunity to put some insulation in there. Now, I understand that
it's best to use foil-backed plasterboard to control vapour but I
can't find plasterboard with both a foil back and a tapered edge.

So...What's the best thing to do? Use foil backed square edge, which
will either need skimming or a bit of luck to get a good finish, or
use tapered edge and stick some foil on the back? The latter sounds
attractive but I might be missing something - like what's the best
way of sticking foil to plasterboard?

Any suggestions welcome!

My suggestion is to just use normal plasterboard and skim - you
aren't going to get it anything like good enough to just paint
unless you have been plating ceilings for years, so whatever you use
will require plastering. Failing that you can leave it looking like
an absolute mess

If you can fill ok, you should be fine.

And also if the cieling is perfectly square.

its not hard to cut boards to fit before offering them up. Just
measure the space properly, pencil it on the board and cut with a
knife. That always needs doing.

And you can cut boards straight

eithe use a ruler, or mark the straight edge with a bit of timber &
cut freehand

and not mash any of the sides as they are
being put up.

look where youre going, dont get careless. Damage can be filled
anyway.

And you don't miss with any of the screws.

Doesnt matter, filler covers all.

Yep, should be fine ;-p

its not hard.

NT