Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy[_2_] Michael Kennedy[_2_] is offline

Default Pet hates ?

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 1/23/2011 12:02 AM Smitty Two spake thus:

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

But bewa up here in the Beige Area, where we like to think we're so
much superior to our SoCal cousins, we never use the article, saying
instead "take 80 to get to Berkeley" or "take 101 to 280 to 17 to get
down to Santa Cruz". (One can easily spot newcomers to San Francisco who
refer to "the 80" or "the 101". That's just SO wrong!)

I don't think Arfa is going to "blend" whether he uses your terminology
or not, and I doubt that's his objective. But you wrote an awful lot of
words without using "freeway," which is what we call the 101 here, and is
the most common word for "interstate highway" throughout the midwest, as
well.

Yup, my bad; thought of it shortly after clicking "Send", of course.

BTW, everyone I know in LA doesn't use numbers at all, but names that are
meaningless to outsiders even if they have a map: "Ventura freeway,"
"Hollywood freeway," "Pasadena freeway," etc.

Forgot about that too. Our freeways also have names, but they're (mostly)
unused: one occasionally hears 880 called "the Nimitz" or 80 "the
Eastshore", but more often not.

Then of course there's Johnny Carson's old favorite, the "Slauson Cutoff"

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.

In Florida many people call the "Interstate Highways" by its number.. For
example Interstate 4 is just I4. Other examples are I95 I75.. But it is
perfectly normal to hear take 75 or Take 95, although take 4 seems a bit
rare.

We have a turnpike as well. It refers to the first large toll road in
Florida.. (I believe it was the first.) Because it's officail name is The
Florida Turnpike or The Ronald Regan Turnpike.. It has 2 names..

Anyhow, I have wasted enough of your time now..

Mike