Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default Only one chance to drill tile

On 23/01/2011 10:51, john eastwood wrote:
Complete novice (and simpleton) needs to drill into two kitchen wall tiles
to put up a magnetic knife rack. The tiles are ancient, and if i crack them
or drill out of level tiles could not be replaced with matching ones.

It's also right near the sink where 'she who must be obeyed' will see it all
day. If i mess up, i'm dead or worse.

I've seen a workman drill into kitchen tiles and initially his drill goes
'all over the place' until it 'bites'. He's probably had a lot of
experience at this, i'm guessing that for me it would bite in the wrong
place.

Grateful for any tips on the 'safest' way for me to drill the tiles.

Others have said what to do, but my thought is before doing it on the
important one, why not practice somewhere else? Ok, not necessarily
trivial to set up, but would mean you know what to expect when you get
to the real thing.