Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Only one chance to drill tile

Gordon Henderson ) wibbled on Sunday 23 January
2011 11:00:

In article ,
john eastwood wrote:
Complete novice (and simpleton) needs to drill into two kitchen wall tiles
to put up a magnetic knife rack. The tiles are ancient, and if i crack
them or drill out of level tiles could not be replaced with matching ones.

It's also right near the sink where 'she who must be obeyed' will see it
all day. If i mess up, i'm dead or worse.

If she whines, tell her to do it herself!

I've seen a workman drill into kitchen tiles and initially his drill goes
'all over the place' until it 'bites'. He's probably had a lot of
experience at this, i'm guessing that for me it would bite in the wrong
place.

Grateful for any tips on the 'safest' way for me to drill the tiles.
Thanks.

Get a proper tile drill. Parallel shank with a trangle shaped tip with a
sharp point. Go slow and use that to go through the glaze and most of
the tile, then see what lies beyond - you might then need a conventional
masonry drill.

Gordon

+1

Yep - I have had quite a few "one chance" holes to do.

Take the tile drill, press it gently into the glaze until you get the
faintest of "crunchy" noises - that's the tip biting the glaze. Now it
should not wander. Start the drill on slow with the lowest of pressures and
allow the drill to grind its way in. Do not use hammer obviously. Go as far
into the plaster as possible so the hole in the tile has parallel edges. Now
you can go through with a masonry drill to deal with the brick if any. If
it's just a plasterboard wall or celcon "cheeseblock" the tile drill will
manage.

Also, it is best IME to use a rawlplug that does not expand at the top - or
one that can be pushed past the tile (ie a plug that does not have a top
lip). You do not want the screw (more so with big screws) to expand and
crack the tile. Probably won't be an issue for the little screws the knife
rack needs, but worth remembering for bigger jobs.

One further thing - if the screws can be put in a grout line, it reduces the
risk to the tiles, but also if the rack is removed and the holes grouted
over, the repair is nearly invisible.

Cheers

Tim

--