Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Can galvanized fittings be used with black iron pipe?

On Jan 21, 9:19*pm, Mikepier wrote:
Was at Lowes tonight picking up stuff for hooking up my HW heater this
weekend and found out they did not have anymore 1/2" Tee's in black
iron for my gas line. But they had galvanized 1/2" Tee's.
Can I mix the 2?

I asked this question of my mechanical engineering mentor nearly ~35
years ago.
He's long gone & I have mixed installations that has been in service
for over 30 years.

He's comment to me back in the 70's was........

"The myth that natural gas causes galvanizing to flake off is an old
wives tale that has debunked by testing, go ahead and use it"

Here is a link to pretty detailed thread on the subject, including
cites from the IRC.

http://www4.iccsafe.org/cgi-bin/ulti...c;f=2;t=002632

a couple guys go back & forth but I'm putting my money on the IRC,
posts in the cited thread by dsjtecserv & my mentor.
He had YEARS of industrial mechanical engineering experience,
including being the chief engineer on design & construction of a
natural gas to fertilizer plant.

YMMV but has been pretty good so far

cheers
Bob