charlie b

Default Workbench - Neander vs Normite

Mike W. wrote:

So, I was ready to build a workbench. Complete with a laminated top and a
couple of decent WW vices. Then I got to thinking....

I don't have a ton of tools. And some of the tools I have aren't that great
(ie My craftsman tablesaw), but they'll do for now. I started on this
neander path a while back thinking it would be cheaper... HAH! Seems 2 or 3
good hand planes and I could buy myself a jointer. Then I thought about the
workbench. I can't say that I recall ever seeing Norm with much of a
workbench. Seems like he has some great big 'work tables', but no bench to
speak of. Is this an attribute of 'Normite vs Neander' on the requirement
of the true sense of the woodworkers workbench? Or is it just 'To each
his own'?

Mike

Unless you're really good, or are comfortable with uneven gaps around
flush mount drawer or cabinet door, and want to stick with face framed
ply cabinets with epoxy coated drawer guides - you WILL find a bench a
necessary or desirable tool to hold things while you make them fit
"just so" or to ease an edge or deal with a gnarly grain or ... If you
get the handcut dovetails bug it will come in handy. If you start
handsawing tenons and chopping mortises it will come in handy. If
you get to clamping up stuff that doesn't meet at 90 degrees it will
come in handy.

Having said all that, my Real Workbench is STILL waiting for me to
handcut the dovetails in the 2" thick (8/4 for the galoots) apron.
No router bit will do the job though I did have a go with the
bandsaw and the test pieces came out pretty good. But, eventually
I'll get off the dime and then only the Veritas Twin Screw will
need installing.

'Til then, I cuss and swear and continue using the 4x8 "bench/assembly
table" with it's three dog holes and one face vice. But I find
having to walk around the damn thing to get something just out of
reach is starting to wear on me. A narrower bench with dog holes,
twin screw and a shoulder vice should take care of that - eventually.

charlie b