Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default Competition for SawStop ?

"Leon" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message
eb.com...
"Leon" wrote

The point I am trying to make is that you should never actually believe
that everything that you know is going to guarantee your safety 100%.
You should always realize that you are human and can make a mistake or
have a lapse in judgement.

I spent 33 years in the FD.
I retired and opened a building inspection business inspecting businesses
for insurance companies. I operated that business for 25 years.
I have a bit of a notion about risk management. (which is the point *I'm*
trying to make)
Every individual has a different level of risk........it's human nature.
Surely you've heard the expression, "He/she is accident prone".
It's actually true. Some people cut themselves more than average. Some
stumble and fall. Some run into things,.... ad infinitum.
In my judgment and in my case only, I consider the SawStop an excessive
expense. For me.
I don't think you can imagine my disgust with the device in the extremely
unlikely event that it "triggered" on a "false" event.
I would be tempted to use a cutting torch on the whole machine. *IF* the
expense of repairs was minimal (less than $50) and the repair time was on
the order of 1/2 hour or less, I *might* be tempted. *Provided* that the
saw itself was, in my opinion, worth the investment.
I don't mean to denigrate the saw or the device. I'm just saying that it
doesn't fit *my* needs.
Anyone else must make their own decision.

Max

I am not trying to sell you any thing and am not suggesting that you buy
any safety equipment. I am only saying that only a naive person thinks
that he knows enough to prevent every possible scenario that could lead to
an accident.

Now if you have never ever had an accident or cut yourself with a nife or
any similar object I'd say that you were 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000, but
I doubt you all in that percentile.

I hear you, Leon. I'm not sure you're hearing *me*.
I cannot avoid *all* unfortunate circumstances. What if on my next trip to
the lumber yard someone in the oncoming traffic has a blowout and crosses
the line and hits me head-on? I might suggest that the odds are shorter of
that happening than the odds of me sticking my hand into a spinning saw
blade. It's all about risk management. You choose how to manage those
risks you recognize. I recognize the possibility of having an accident with
my table saw (and a myriad of other risks in my shop) The cost/benefit
ratio of the SawStop does not appeal to me. I have already stated what costs
would alter the ratio.
Let me repeat:
I recognize the hazards. I recognize that I am *not* immune. I choose to
manage my risk differently than you do.
But, again, I do appreciate your advice and apparent concern.

Max