Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Competition for SawStop ?

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 16:52:30 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

The only thing I didn't like about the tone of the posts like yours is
that some feel like the need to sneer at those who prefer to work more
safely. After all, you survived all these years doing things exactly
the way you do, what's the problem with all the pussies? The
underlying message of the more manly man, the stud in charge of his
own affairs doesn't have accidents is baloney.

I didn't mean for that post to be sneering (except at the greedy
bastid) or macho, Naily.

I have seen too many accidents where safety equipment mitigated the
damage. I have seen too many accidents where lack of it did just the
opposite. I have done damage to myself, personally, from not using
available safety devices. I was a many MF, though and didn't think I
needed to be told what to do. I was pretty sure my civil rights had
been violated, and that maybe I was a victim of overall weenie boy
bean counters.

So I got hurt. All I had to do was put on a $3 pair of goggles....

Thankfully, modern technology saved my eye and eyesight. Learned a
great deal about my personal pride and my thoughts of independence,
manliness, and other things while waiting to see if my eyesight could
be restored. Wearing an eyepatch served as a constant reminder to my
own hard headed stupidity.

Yes, you were lucky. Glad they could save it. Eyesight is precious.

And reading these posts, I always think of the old saying, "they call
them accidents for a reason". Working too late in the shop to get a
project out to keep from being sued (or not paid), working long hours
to keep the lights on.

Many safety devices simply do not apply to the folks in this group.
They are for the guys that have an occasional lapse in judgement, the
guy that miscalculates, someone that has been working at the wheel too
long that day, someone that might be sick but still has to work their
8 - 10 hours, someone that is using a tool correctly but in a
hazardous fashion, someone that encounters an unusual and unexpected
result when performing a routine operation, someone using tools in
inclement weather or conditions, etc., etc.

I got lucky last year when I was trying to notch a tubasix on the new
12" CMS. I thought it would rip a 3" section without trouble. One
second later, the 40" piece had jammed itself into the guts of the
machine and broken off the laser mount. It took about 5 minutes for me
to realize just how luck I had been. I might have lost most of my
left hand to it in the same split second. I'll never try that again.
It was late, I was tired, and I wanted to use a shortcut. It might
have worked on the old Delta 10" but it didn't on the HF 12" with the
new blade. I'm glad I wasn't hanging onto the board any tighter.

Anyone that faces those conditions on a fairly regular basis usually
has a great appreciation for all the help they can get.

Throw me in with those guys.

Ditto here, but the antics of the Sawstop guy just got under my skin.
I don't want one of his products even if it is safer. I'll settle for
the next best, excess ducats allowing.

NOW who has righteousness, Naily? Your and Leon's wishing someone
harm just doesn't sit right with me. Enjoy your karma, guys.

Now don't start that. No where, no way did I or do I wish you harm.
I respect your right to act and conduct yourself as you want, even if
it seems counter intuitive to me.

I guess I read something into your post, then. Thanks.

I am plain spoken enough that if I wished you harm I am sure I could
find a way to express myself in a way that would leave you with no
doubt.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson