Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Two phases or not?

"Jeffrey Angus"

Welllll ... that's pretty much what I wrote. So I take it you agree with
me that it is, in fact, 2-phase power, correct?

In a word, no.

Power distribution being what it is, the 240/120 transformer on the
pole is sourced with _ONE_ phase of the 3-phase feed for the area.

** Totally irrelevant how the 2-phase is derived.

That there is a center tap allowing for 120/120 or 240 loads is
immaterial. It's STILL single phase.

** Pedantic nonsense.

There are two AC waves that differ only in phase and if both "phases" are
loaded equally, the neutral current is zero.

So it is completely analogous to 3-phase power.

The 90 degree system is just an obsolete odd ball only a moronic pedant
would even mention.

..... Phil