Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Reduce power of a microwave oven?

On 1/22/2011 7:56 AM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

On 1/21/2011 6:02 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

Actually, I think that it is quite a useful comment, as in my
experience in the electronics service business, many techs -
particularly modern ones - have no understanding that a resistor
has a maximum working voltage rating, and have even laughed at
the very idea when I have suggested it to them, until I have
shown them in a component catalogue. I'm willing to bet that
prior to this exchange, there were more than a few reading what
Michael said, and doing just that ...

Well, I have to admit that it (maximum resistor voltage ratings)
doesn't often occur to me, simply because I don't work with HV. But
the person Mr. Terrell responded to above was certainly aware of
why his resistor got blown to smithereens. Hence my annoyance.

I see that, but some other less experienced people reading the thread, may
well have learnt something from the comment. Still, all sorted now, and
everyone's up to speed on resistor voltage ratings !

Well, point taken.

While we're on the subject, where would one get HV resistors, anyhow?
Any US suppliers?

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.