Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Competition for SawStop ?

On Jan 22, 12:52 am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Because I don't buy into the greed I'm proud and righteous? If I
instead invest in the Whirlwind safety system am I still proud and
righteous?

Go get 'em Larry!

Perhaps I was obtuse.

I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU DO. I want to reinforce your right to do what
you want, and if you get banged up along the way and proudly carry a
few extra scars or bodily damage due to your activities, wear them
proudly!

READ CAREFULLY, Larry. I am not saying anyone should do something
they don't want to do. Drink lye. Weld without a face shield. Spray
lacquer without a mask. Open bottles with your teeth. I simply DO
NOT CARE. That was my point in response to your post. I cannot
encourage you enough to act exactly as you want to.

Since no one is making anyone use the Sawstop, there is no enforcement
bureau or agency, there is no governmental requirement, and there are
PLENTY of alternatives, I am personally not concerned about the
corporate greed angle.

I haven't felt the sting of an FBI (or any other agency) effort to
make me use a wood sawing product that was developed by a greedy
corporation in conjunction with a corrupt government.

Has someone dictated/mandated/legislated that you use saw stopping
blade technology?

The only thing I didn't like about the tone of the posts like yours is
that some feel like the need to sneer at those who prefer to work more
safely. After all, you survived all these years doing things exactly
the way you do, what's the problem with all the pussies? The
underlying message of the more manly man, the stud in charge of his
own affairs doesn't have accidents is baloney.

I have seen too many accidents where safety equipment mitigated the
damage. I have seen too many accidents where lack of it did just the
opposite. I have done damage to myself, personally, from not using
available safety devices. I was a many MF, though and didn't think I
needed to be told what to do. I was pretty sure my civil rights had
been violated, and that maybe I was a victim of overall weenie boy
bean counters.

So I got hurt. All I had to do was put on a $3 pair of goggles....

Thankfully, modern technology saved my eye and eyesight. Learned a
great deal about my personal pride and my thoughts of independence,
manliness, and other things while waiting to see if my eyesight could
be restored. Wearing an eyepatch served as a constant reminder to my
own hard headed stupidity.

And reading these posts, I always think of the old saying, "they call
them accidents for a reason". Working too late in the shop to get a
project out to keep from being sued (or not paid), working long hours
to keep the lights on.

Many safety devices simply do not apply to the folks in this group.
They are for the guys that have an occasional lapse in judgement, the
guy that miscalculates, someone that has been working at the wheel too
long that day, someone that might be sick but still has to work their
8 - 10 hours, someone that is using a tool correctly but in a
hazardous fashion, someone that encounters an unusual and unexpected
result when performing a routine operation, someone using tools in
inclement weather or conditions, etc., etc.

Anyone that faces those conditions on a fairly regular basis usually
has a great appreciation for all the help they can get.

Throw me in with those guys.

NOW who has righteousness, Naily? Your and Leon's wishing someone
harm just doesn't sit right with me. Enjoy your karma, guys.

Now don't start that. No where, no way did I or do I wish you harm.
I respect your right to act and conduct yourself as you want, even if
it seems counter intuitive to me.

I am plain spoken enough that if I wished you harm I am sure I could
find a way to express myself in a way that would leave you with no
doubt.

Robert