Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Nickel plated polyimide--where to get?

George Herold wrote:
On Jan 21, 10:18 pm, Phil Hobbs
wrote:
whit3rd wrote:
On Jan 20, 8:32 pm, Phil Hobbs
wrote:
I have a partly-baked idea for improving temperature controllers, but it
requires a bunch of nickel plated polyimide film--say 3 to 8 mils thick,
with 40 microinches of electroless nickel on it.

So, plate your nickel onto anything you want, then apply/bake the
polyimide as a conformal coating, and etch away the 'anything'
layer?

I'm attempting to throw money at the problem, hopefully in the direction
of somebody who's done it many times before. That way I can get on with
the parts I'm not sure will work!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

email: hobbs (atsign) electrooptical (period) nethttp://electrooptical.net

A thermal Faraday shield sounds like some sort of distributed heating
(cooling?) Can you mock something up, by soldering together bits of
nickel wire? (I like phosphur bronze for heaters.)

George H.

I think I can get an improvement of 40 dB or maybe even more in thermal
forcing rejection, but it needs to be something technologically
feasible....and anything involving wire is going to be too conductive.

Sorry to be mysterious about it--if it works I'm certainly going to
patent it. A cheap and simple gizmo that makes an improvement of that
magnitude will be worth actual money, I should hope. It's nice and
discoverable, too, which is another plus, and the actual hardware is
easy to make on standard production equipment. It's getting the blanket
material to play with that's the problem.

It's no secret that the way to get speed in thermal control systems is
to keep everything close together--heat conduction is what's slow.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--

http://electrooptical.net