Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Pet hates ?

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
I seem to recall from my early days of car tinkering in the 70's and
80's , that most of my spanners and my socket sets, were Whitworth and
AF ?? That would have been for Morris Minors, Vauxhalls of all sorts
including HA, HB and HC Vivas, a VX4/90 or two, and assorted Fords
including Escorts and Cortinas and Sierras.

AF is the spanner size - across flats - and those fit UNF and UNC. Which
are basically American Fine and Course. Slightly confusing as a 1/2 AF
spanner fits a 5/16ths thread. All the above cars would have used UNF and
UNC.

Some post WW2 cars were basically pre WW2 designs - or used major
components from them, and may still have had BSF or BSW threads in use.
Nuffield products sometimes used a peculiar metric thread with BSW heads
just to confuse things.

--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

Dave Plowman London SW