LRod

Default Workbench - Neander vs Normite

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:03:18 GMT, "Mike W."
wrote:

I don't have a ton of tools. And some of the tools I have aren't that great
(ie My craftsman tablesaw), but they'll do for now. I started on this
neander path a while back thinking it would be cheaper... HAH! Seems 2 or 3
good hand planes and I could buy myself a jointer. Then I thought about the
workbench. I can't say that I recall ever seeing Norm with much of a
workbench. Seems like he has some great big 'work tables', but no bench to
speak of. Is this an attribute of 'Normite vs Neander' on the requirement
of the true sense of the woodworkers workbench? Or is it just 'To each
his own'?

Norm has an Ulmia in the shop. It doesn't get any more "neander" than
that. The Ulmia is a classical European style workbench with front
vise, tail vise, and dog holes. For years that was the bench behind
him as he fed stock into the saw. He frequently laid a piece of
Homosote over it for glue-ups and other tasks, so you might have
missed it.

In the last couple of seasons he has been using the work table he
built a couple of years ago, but the bench is still around, or at
least it was a few months ago when I cyber-toured the shop again.

Also, in the first season, I think, he built a neander type workbench.
I think he used it a couple of episodes and then brought the Ulmia
back in.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net