Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Cell phone data plan

Lab1 wrote:

If I have cell phone usb stick for wireless data connection can I use
Magic Jack phone service on my notebook?

I don't see why not. If you can use Skype you can use Magic Jack as they
are pretty close to the same technology less Magic Jacks DTMF telephone
interface.

Have you ever used a Magic Jack? The audio is clear, but there is a
lot of latency.

Yes, my dad has one. He is on high speed cable internet and I didn't
notice very much latency with his setup. This was about 2 years ago and
MJ wasn't nearly as popular as it is today. He doesn't use it much
because he always has a cell phone. I wonder if whatever MJ uses to
connect to the telco's is bogged down now?

I only use it for a backup becasue of the latency problems. I have
between 7 and 10 Mb/s data rate downstream and 1.5 to 2.5 upstream.
I've had it about three months. Also, I'm not sure if it can handle the
QPSK modulation.

Teflon coated.