Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Computer

In message , The Other Mike
writes
On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 09:21:40 +0000, Mark
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 07:14:56 -0800 (PST), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

On Jan 18, 2:28*pm, Mark
wrote:
I have to deal with a lot of people who are not technical. *They send
out documents in whatever format they feel like

So how do you deal with those formats? Are they all MS's fault? Why
can't you deal with docx the same way?

Personally I can open .docx files. The problem is that others can't
and haven't read them before a relevant meeting. This wastes time.

Anyone with half an ounce of common sense who was distributing complex
documents for others to read on screen or print (and not edit) would
use pdf. Anything simple should use plain text and not HTML.
Unfortunately Microsoft have spawned a generation of ****wits.

There is also huge potential with all Microsoft formats for the
document to be displayed or printed in a completely different manner
than that of the original author when the version numbers don't match
or conversions are done with other programs.

All closed formats are like that, total ****e.

Ah well! You have pointed up the differences between us users and the
adepts:-)

Am I likely to have a facility on this m/c to create pdf files?

AFAIK Adobe 8 is limited to reading only.

regards

--
Tim Lamb