Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Compact Fluorescent Lamps Burn Out Faster Than Expected, Limiting Energy Savings in California's Efficiency Program

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:36:51 -0800 (PST), Mark
wrote:

The market for incandescents does not price the cost of using the bulb
into the cost of buying them. Lots of folks don't consider the total
cost of ownership. And those who rent or otherwise don't pay directly
for their power may not care that it's actually more expensive to buy
incandescents even though it's better for us as a society, country,
and world, that we use less energy.- Hide quoted text -

-

Is the full life environmental cycle cost of producing and disposing
of CFLs priced into their sales price?

NO....

Mark

It is not figured into their sale price, nor into the published
operating costs. An incandescent bulb requires a lot less energy and
materials to manufacture, and creates a lot less garbage when it is
finished. IF the CFL lamps lasted as long as they are perported to
last, they might be worth while - but by and large they are NOT.

I've got quite a few in use because we are told it's the "right" thing
to do. I'm sure not fully convinced, judging from my experience with
the overpriced crap.