Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob[_4_] notbob[_4_] is offline

Default Self priming ???

On 2011-01-21, Dean Hoffman wrote:
I just bought a replacement jet pump for a house well. It is
supposedly self priming. The definition of self priming isn't what I
thought. It is self priming after the intake pipes and volute are
filled with water.
Self priming to me would mean that the pump could literally prime
itself after all the plumbing was hooked up. There would be no need to
fill the intake with water.
Am I wrong or is the manufacturer stretching the truth?

Not being familiar with your particular pump ....is it deep or
shallow?.... and jet pumps in general, but according to what I see on
wiki, a jet pump is a velocity type pump, NOT a positive displacement
pump. You need a positive displacement pump to pull a vacuum,
therefore a prime. It appears a deep jet pump sits right in the water
source, and therefore needs no prime. Perhaps that's what your
supplier is calling "self priming". Either way, sounds like you've
been conned, sorry to say.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injector
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump

nb