Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Fender Frontman 212R amp, 2010

Yes, just out of warranty, even if in warranty little point in an exchange
because the same would likely occur a year after that. Of course yet again
recent made in China for USA and then export to here UK, so absolutely no
mention of RoHs / PbF anywhere - anyone the definitive answer? I've not
taken appart to the solder side yet.

aside
[see this thread a week ago , uk.legal.moderated/title "failed /
unrepairable goods - what are my options? (if any)"
no mention of pbfitis there but PbF a likely cause. ]

This Fender - low level domestic use and failed to no output , no hiss or
anything, during usual low volume use. Both // speakers are o/c , I suspect
cutting into the dome of each will show the usual , these days, failed PbF
at the tail/VC wire union. One must have quietly failed unnoticed and then
the second , I don't expect to see burnt coils if I explore that far . Will
of course check for o/p DC or ultrasonic but no reported magic smoke/smells
or noise or signs of excess heat.
The killer ;-( is the mains transformer is only hanging in there on a wing
and a prayer - 3 of the 4 retaining nuts dropped off, fourth totally loose
and primary tail mains-wire rubbing on the abrasive ceramic edge of a 5W W/W