Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default Competition for SawStop ?

On 1/21/2011 11:03 AM, Leon wrote:
"Larry wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 22:17:48 -0600,
wrote:

"Larry wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 16:09:38 -0600,
wrote:
What about 80ips????

May I spell it out for you? I'm using a SWAG to estimate an 80ips
speed. Perhaps someone can actually -time- the speed of a flailing
hand as a person slips and tries to catch himself. Then have Sawstop
test a wiener at that speed instead of in slow-mo, as they do now.

What happens is one hell of a lot less damage than if the saw was other
than
a SawStop. I'd still be much happier that I got a bad cut than loose a
whole finger, hand, arm, or internal body part.

Very likely true, but we won't know until we see the experiment
performed. What I'm saying is that the demo is deficient, showing
only the best-case scenarios. Let's see worst-case!

Ok, that sounds reasonable but only if you yourself start the experiment
with the saw of your choice including the SawStop. which one are you
going
to choose......?

Mean cuss, ain't ya? Telling a consumer advocate to go maim himself.
You ought to be ashamed of yourself, Leon.

I'd choose the saw which didn't have the asshole attorney attached to
it, the Whirlwind licensed machine, of course.

OK, I'll go with the SawStop. Now we are going to shove our hands up under
the guard as fast as we can like we are playing hand ball. We'll see who
has the bigger cut. Better yet, you can do yours with your saw turned off,
I'll let the SawStop run to give you an advantage, maybe.

IIRC the Whirlwind blade simply stops, the speed of your hand will probably
produce a pretty good cut when it hits that stationary blade. The SawStop
blade of course instantly stops spinning AND drops below the table.

A- hole attorney or not, I am going with what offers ME the most protection.

The Whirlwind will make all of this type technology become more reasonably
priced but so far it's a "me too" that does not offer the same amount of
protection.

I don't yet have a TS, but I intuitively keep my hands away from things
spinning at 4000 RPM. A normal blade guard appears to offer "good"
protection. I will increase my level of protection when it's cost is
more modest. Until then I will exercise due caution--like I do when I
use my chain saw. Seems like a chain saw is more dangerous, no? At
least the TS blade is fixed in 2 dimensions. I am watching the
technology, and this discussion, with interest.

Bill