Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default Competition for SawStop ?

On 1/21/2011 10:00 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 06:22:30 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jan 21, 8:23 am, wrote:
"Larry wrote in message
I'd choose the saw which didn't have the asshole attorney attached to
it, the Whirlwind licensed machine, of course.

And when you cut something off, some asshole attorney is going to be your
painful best friend.

It's funny to see an post to me from someone who has been in my twit
filter for several years now. What he doesn't realize is that good
people don't need nor use attorneys for self-inflicted wounds. They
take responsibility for their actions, unlike the liberal idiots in
Uppy's small circle.

I'd buy the Sawstop too, except for one thing. A standard tablesaw is too
high for me to safely use. The only option for me is the Access model
General 650. Considering it cost as much or a little more than the Sawstop,
the factor of money doesn't really come into play, not unless I'd be willing
to spend some $10,000 or more for a computer controlled saw. And yes, I
inquired if there was enough space inside the Sawstop cabinet to possibly
lower the saw and there isn't, not even close. Not to mention the voiding of
any warranty.

Would it be possible to lower the saw into an elevated platform with
gentle ramps? How much of a height difference are we talking about?

A wheelchair-height workspace is usually 24-26", so lowering would
probably be about 10 inches.

For the amounts of money you are talking about, would raising the floor
10 inches around and in the vicinity of the saw be unthinkable? Or,
IIRC, are you working in a smallish interior room?

Bill

--
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson