Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Sheds and condensation avoidence thereof

PeterC ) wibbled on Friday 21 January 2011
14:39:

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:45:23 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

fred ) wibbled on Friday 21 January 2011 09:34:

Possible with a model railway you could provide some sort of a fabric
cover ?

and make sure it is natural fabric - cotton, linen or wool - all of which
can absorb moisture.

Wool is the best for 'managing' moisture, IIRC.

I saw it claimed on a website selling irish wool for roof insulation -
basically the claim was it lessened the risk of rot in timbers by buffering
some degree of moisture before it condensed out elsewhere. Could see a
reason to disbelieve it - though it wasn't stated exactly how much water a
given amount of wool could absorb whilst remaining dry to the touch at
various temperatures (if temperature has any bearing).

Mind you - my BCO still wanted the usual ventilation paths and spacings when
I was discussing the possibility of using wool...

--
Tim Watts