Posted to sci.electronics.repair
No Name

Default Are CRT monitor registers standardized?

whit3rd, thanks. Very useful info.

Apologies for the top post.

Mike

"whit3rd" wrote in message ...
On Jan 20, 6:44 am, wrote:
Hi all, I used WinDAS to adjust G2 on an overbright Sony F500R monitor, and want to learn about a few of the other registers,
especially 22-38 and the relationships between them (full dump copied below). Google was useless.

In general are these registers standard across monitor manufacturers?

Some names are familiar.
Your "G2" means the second grid of the CRT, and determines
the overall brightness (and needs correction often as the tube ages).
A 'readjustment' of a color monitor is potentially complex, it seems
like most things we used to do with screwdrivers are now 0-255 range
binary numbers, probably for one or several 8-bit DACs.

(about registers 28-33)
Red, green, blue blanking levels (the cutoff 'black' setting) might
have a 'center' value so one can start the adjustment procedure
at a neutral value (we used to center the ranges first, set G2 or
"screen" and go from there). The "max" might mean maximum
value of the voltage, not necessarily maximum integer in the
DAC register...

then when the 'zero' brightness values are set you adjust gains
of the video amplifiers, i.e. 'drive'
(registers 22...27)

Sizing and centering the screen with (104...107)

Pincushion and pincushion balance adjustments(108...109) are
for barrel distortion (or inverse barrel == pincushion)

Keystone (get this wrong and the rectangles come out as rhombuses)
(110...111)

REG# ** LABEL ** VALUE NOTES
1 ** G2 ** 115 Factory setting (139) caused overbrightness
2 ** DRV_ZERO_LEVEL ** 0
3 ** DRIVE_MIN ** 0
4 ** DRIVE_MAX ** 250
5 ** dummy4 ** SKIP