Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Competition for SawStop ?

On Jan 20, 2:00*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

I suspect the results would be *identical* even if they shoved a dog in
there at "slip speed." *I just wish someone would post a video to shut
up all the members of the tin-foil hat club.

A few years ago I went to a Woodcraft demo days event, and the Sawstop
guy was there. He was tired of listening to the kind of prattle he
was hearing about "not trying to injure himself" the "right way" or in
any way the audience could imagine for him.

We were his last stop on demo days. He had a pile or cartridges, so
he decided to show us how fast the saw would stop and how easy it was
to replace a cartridge.

He SLAPPED the blade with a Hebrew National wiener (I know some here
would probably like to know the exact product for their research
rebuttals but all I saw was the package) and it stopped like a shot.

That thing stops so fast it is almost scary. With the SLAP (imagine
you are falling backwards out of your attic through sheetrock onto a
spinning saw left running by the neighbor's teenage prankster) trying
to duplicate the unexpected, he was able to scratch the surface of the
wiener. I think it might have drawn blood, but nothing to worry
about.

I was sold. My next saw will probably be a Sawstop for the safety
reason, but having used one in my friend's shop, I found them to be
excellent pieces of equipment.

Robert