Charlie Self

Default wax or polyurethane!

Mike G responds:

That is an easy one. I'll just give you the facts and you can take it from
there.

On a protection scale of 1 to 10 you are talking the extreme ends for
commonly available finishes.

Wax protection = 0 (yes, I know that is less then 1) ALL waxes.
Poly protection = 10 (well, maybe 8 1/2 - 9)

Of course you could consider a curing oil, linseed, tung, or Danish. I
wouldn't, but, then again, it isn't my floor.

Let's hope the OP listens. Getting wax up off a bare wood floor to do a real
finish job will not be fun.

Anyone got any info on what finishes are best these days for floors? I checked
this out for an article something like 4 years ago, and it was still the
solvent based polys. Water-based hadn't quite reached the abrasion resistance.
Has that changed?

Charlie Self
"To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was
tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html