Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default One problem replaced by another. OIl furnace burns, stops after9seconds

On 1/20/2011 7:29 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Tony Miklos wrote:

On 1/20/2011 2:24 PM, RBM wrote:
"Tony wrote in message
On 1/20/2011 7:40 AM, mm wrote:
So everything was fine, and now my oil furnace starts, runs for about
9 seconds with a good yellow flame, and stops.

In a while I can press reset and then the same thing happens.

9 seconds is not enough time for the fan to go on, of course. Now it
might be even a little shorter.

Hellllllllp!

"A good yellow flame"? No such thing. That's bad, it should be mostly
blue with yellow tips. If it's running that poorly, the optical sensor is
probably smoked up and shuts itself down. Clean off the sensor then try
adjusting the air for a blue flame with yellow tips.

You do realize that this is an oil burner??

Yes. And I've watched pro's adjust them and I've done it myself many
times. A yellow flame is going to build up a lot of soot in no time.
Actually blue may not be best, try for a white/blue flame with yellow
tips. And if you're picky, I'll change "optical sensor" to "photo
cell". Yellow is not acceptable, unless you want the same problems the
OP has.

I took (and passed with a perfect grade) an oil burner service course,
and there were no blue or remotely blue flames anywhere in and of the
burners we worked on, only very bright yellow, which might look white to
some folks.

Well you could have me on the very bright yellow looking white. What
color are or should the tips be? That's the only place I see yellow and
never orange.