Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Competition for SawStop ?

On 1/20/11 10:18 PM, Max wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote On 1/20/11 9:56 PM, Max wrote:
Shall I spell it out for you? If the blade guard is in place as
it should be (and I might add will most likely be in the case of
an owner who thinks he/she needs the safety margin the SawStop is
supposed to provide) the damage will likely be less than you
suggest. or not?

Max

What blade guard would stop ones hand from sliding forward into the
blade. If it doesn't stop wood, how is a hand any different?

-MIKE-

Um.....well.....You pose a difficult question. I may be supposing a
blade guard like mine where one would have to be in a rather unique
position to slide his hand under the guard and into the *teeth* of
the spinning blade. Not that it couldn't happen but............. I
guess I would have to agree with those who propose that "nothing is
fool proof". G

Max

Is your guard not tapered on the front like most?
Doesn't it get lifted up by the stock pushing into the front of it?
Again, how is that different from a hand slipping off the wood, or
someone slipping forward and pushing their hand forward to catch
themselves. Both are pretty common causes of table saw injuries.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--