Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Awesome speakers!!

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:

Alternatively, take a look at some of the kitted "assemble it
yourself" speaker systems available from (e.g.) Madisound
and Zalytron. Many of them are available either as parts-only
kits (build the cabinets yourself from plans), or with cabinets
pre-built (just finish the cabinets and install and wire the
components).

One of the advantages of such kits is that you can build a rigid, tightly
braced, really /dead/ enclosure, which is never found in modestly priced
"box" speakers. You can also experiment with such things as painting the
cabinet with Nextel.

Yup.

I designed and built my own cabinets, rather than using a fully-
kitted design, as I wanted to fit them into a specific space in
my living room. Double-thick front bezel with a deadening compound
between the two layers, lots of internal bracing, and a thorough
glopping of the interior with Shur-Stick Permanent Patch 100. These
boxes are *dead*... they go "thuck" rather than "boing" if you tap them.

http://www.radagast.org/~dplatt/speakers/

There used to be a joke that /everybody else/ knew more about using KEF's
drivers than KEF did. This was generally true.

Point taken :-)

--
Dave Platt AE6EO