Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeroni Paul Jeroni Paul is offline

Default Can people share a satellite account?

On 20 ene, 18:43, Chet Kincaid wrote:
I presume if you have service to more than one tv you have a box by each
both fed from the dish & LNB via a cable splitter.

Since the subscription is usually attached to a card you must insert
in the box, you can only watch one at a time so you could have
multiple boxes and multiple TVs but since you have just one active
card you would have to take the card with you to the one you want to
watch. This of course assumes the card and box used by that particular
provider are some standard so you can buy third party boxes compatible
with the subscription.
Another common setup is to send the output video from the box to other
TVs in a home, either modulated in RF through a coaxial cable or by
wireless video transmitters. As long as all the TVs are yours this
should not be illegal.

So can someone take one of their boxes to another location and hook it to
another dish/LNB and still be part of the original service without a 2nd
subscription?

Yes, you can connect your converter box to any dish pointed to the
right satellite and it will work and they will not know unless you
connect the box to a phone line and the box calls by phone so they
could see its is calling from another number. I don't know if any
control exists about the number the call originates from.