Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Villa Bob Villa is offline

Default Can people share a satellite account?

On Jan 20, 11:43*am, Chet Kincaid wrote:
Forgive my ignorance as I've never had satellite tv and have barely even
touched the controls.

I presume if you have service to more than one tv you have a box by each
both fed from the dish & LNB via a cable splitter.

So can someone take one of their boxes to another location and hook it to
another dish/LNB and still be part of the original service without a 2nd
subscription?

Again, I am showing my ignorance but these things are downlinks only,
right? *What do they do about pay per view?

--

Also, as a separate but related matter, with cable tv moving towards almost
all channels being scrambled and mandatory use of a converter box as

Yes, I know it sounds like I'm planning to cheat in some way but I'm really
more just curious. *Guess I'm wondering why more people don't share
subscriptions if it's technically feasible.

AFAIK you can't share the satellite unless they would be in the same
building. You could (you didn't hear it from me) share it with a next
door neighbor.
You can take your receiver (or smartcard) with you to a cottage or
such. (at least you could in the past).
I know of people (same family) their homes are a few hundred feet
apart. They have the dual Dish receiver and a boosted signal for their
second remote (UHF signal). No added cost for the 2nd house.