Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus3982 Ignoramus3982 is offline

Default Fixed the "measured shot" ether starting system

On 2011-01-21, rangerssuck wrote:
On Jan 20, 3:54?pm, Ignoramus3982
wrote:
The last thing remaining on the MEP-006A generator, was the cold start
system thet releases a "measured shot" of ether into the intake
manifold.

It would do nothing.

Supplied 24v right to the valve, no click, no movement.

Took valve off, took it apart, found rusted iron plunger that was
engaged by the solenoid, cleaned up. Now it clicks, would not fire.

More screwing around last night. Found crud in passages, cleaned with
welding wire. Got some shots of ether.

Reinstalled back and it now works great.

It is 18 degrees F right now.

The cold start system is very gentle, just barely enough ether to get
the genset going. Which is actually good, as it does not lead to ether
explosions and such.

It works very reliably. So now, the generator is 100% working and
verified. I will try to load test it to 100%, with a homemade 60 kW
load bank that I want to build, and then I will sell it.

How much are you thinking of asking for it? I'm not going to buy it,
but I'm just wondering.

$4500 or so on ebay, less for any rec.crafts.metalworking member.