Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Sheds and condensation avoidence thereof

On Jan 20, 6:08*pm, Peter Parry wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 14:40:21 GMT, Chris Wilson

wrote:
My main concern is condensation or to be more precise how to avoid
condensation, if anyone could give any pointers I'd be most grateful.

Fit an (Inverter) heat pump air conditioner. *Cheaper to run than an
electric heater and has a built in dehumidifier function as well.

I have found this fascinating. I built myself a new workshop 3 years
ago which has both metal working and wood working lathes - both large
and CI. There is also a circular saw, band saw and large vertical
drill. I live near Edinburgh. So I live in a cool, dampish area and
have a lot of metalwork on which moisture could condense if it
wished.

I do not have any problems, and I haven't made any specific provision
against condensation either that I know of.

The shed is an extension to a garage and being on a sloping site its
concrete floor is raised above ground level on 2 sides. There's a dpm
in the concrete and rubber matting on the floor. Wooden frame, 2
windows, 2 doors, 3" timber framing with fibre glass insulation and
weatherboard facing, no breathing layer under the weatherboarding, but
a dpm under the inner lining of OSB board to prevent condensation in
the insulation. Roof is insulated, and covered with Onduline over
OSB, plasterboard ceilng. Basic electric fan heater with internal
thermostat that is turned to minimum every night.

I was interested in the story about storing the tools in a wooden
chest and wonder if the relative air tightness of my workshop and the
presence of quite a lot of wood and shavings act as an absorber of the
moisture and it doesn't get a chance to settle out on cold surfaces.

I did wonder about condensation when the shed was being built and a
humiditistat controlled extractor fan was installed, but found to be
unnecessary and has remained switched off.

I'm sorry if my story flies in the face of everyone else and creates
confusion. One possible factor in thinking about it, is that only in
error do I allow the workshop to get much above 10 or 12 C in winter,
usually finding that a padded boiler suit, etc. is adequate even for
fine work.

Rob