Posted to alt.home.repair
jimmy jimmy is offline

Default 50 year old house.. Wood doors need to be repained. need to remove paint,, advice on sanding etc

After moving into a 100 yr old home my wife wanted the molding and doors to
look better.
I removed all the molding took it outside, and tried paint remover 4 thick
coats of paint on the door which the remover didn't remove..
I used a torch and scraper (heat guns were not available then) remember
REMOVE is the word before using a torch do not torch in place,
if I did it now I would use nothing but a heat gun and still be very
careful.
My neighbors house burned down because a local paint contractor used a torch
on her siding to remove paint.
Any way some of the molding that was painted I was able to stain and finish.
In my opinion paint remover doesn't work.

"KOS" wrote in message
Hi
I am going to repaint a wood bathroom door in a 50 year old house. The
doors are in really good condition. I would like to remove the paint
from the door... I have a sander but whenever I use it dust covers the
entire room, so I dont want to use that.. Any liquids that work well
for this type of project? I did use an environmentally friendly
"paste" that you put it on and wait 24 hours then scrap off- but I
dont think that will work on the door, as the paint is pretty good on
there. Thanks