Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default One problem replaced by another. OIl furnace burns, stops after9 seconds

On 1/20/2011 7:40 AM, mm wrote:
So everything was fine, and now my oil furnace starts, runs for about
9 seconds with a good yellow flame, and stops.

In a while I can press reset and then the same thing happens.

9 seconds is not enough time for the fan to go on, of course. Now it
might be even a little shorter.

Hellllllllp!

"A good yellow flame"? No such thing. That's bad, it should be mostly
blue with yellow tips. If it's running that poorly, the optical sensor
is probably smoked up and shuts itself down. Clean off the sensor then
try adjusting the air for a blue flame with yellow tips.