Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Reduce power of a microwave oven?

On 1/20/2011 4:44 AM Michael A. Terrell spake thus:

mike wrote:

Yes, that's what I had in mind. All you need is a switch that can
handle that much volts safely...and maybe some means to make sure
that switching a charged cap doesn't explode the diode or the switch.

Some months ago, I had to replace the diode in my old one.
Hooked a resistor to a couple of clip leads and hooked them to the cap.
I never did find any of the resistor pieces. May have gotten swept up
when I cleaned up the puddle I made. ;-)

You exceeded the maximum voltage rating of that resistor.

Gee, ya think?

Another incredibly useful 1-line post from the shoot-from-the-hip master ...

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.