Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chuck Chuck is offline

Default Pet hates ?

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 18:00:17 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Lab1 .@... wrote in message
On 1/19/2011 9:54 AM, N_Cook wrote:
Great dollops of that white goo between metal to metal thermally

conductive
surfaces. Heatsink to metal casing in amplifiers etc. I'm not sure why

it is
even necessary with perhaps 20 square inches of contact and bolts

between. I
always wipe away with paper etc on first parting but always some gets
on

my
clothing - I've not worn white lab coats for many a year.

Heat sink compound is usually very necessary.

One of my pet hates is torx screws with a pin in the center.

The harware that I always have problems with in the UK , never organised a
stock of, is UNF and UNC nuts and bolts for USA kit. And of course,vice
versa, repairers in USA never have metric (and lesser extent BA) for UK
and
Japanese kit

I once got in a lot of trouble with my boss when I was young and worked for
a U.S. based company. At that time, I didn't understand that there was a big
difference between British 'tongue-in-cheek' humour, and the much more
direct U.S. type. I was talking on the phone to one of the designers of a
piece of equipment that we sold here in the UK, and asked the guy if he
could arrange to send me some screws for the cabinet, as they were a thread
that we didn't readily get over here. He asked if I knew exactly what size
they were so I replied, quick as a flash, thinking that I was being funny,
"I guess that they are round about 3/16ths APF." "What's APF ?" the guy
asked. "American **** Fit", said I ...

Stony silence on the phone. Half an hour later, I was summoned to the boss's
office. Apparently, the guy had been really offended by this, thinking that
it was a slur on what he considered to be good American engineering, and had
called my boss to complain about me. Just goes to show how easily offence
can be caused between nations, even when they speak what's basically the
same language ... :-)

Arfa

I think it matters in what part of the U.S. this person resided. I'm
originally from the North East and humor that would be considered mild
there is considered a great affront to some people in the South.
However, racist remarks, that I find offensive, don't seem to bother
their delicate constitutions. Chuck