Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
J.B. Wood J.B. Wood is offline

Default Music Servers

On 01/19/2011 12:01 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Does there exist an apparatus that I could connect the audio output of
my FM tuner, assign an IP address, and distribute throughout my PC
network?

...Jim Thompson

Hello, and I've appliances here at work that are capable of streaming
MPEG-4 video and audio. They are made by VBrick Systems but they cost
several thousand dollars each. You input an NTSC or PAL video source
and/or the accompanying analog stereo/mono audio and the stream is
output to your network. You can set parameters like bit rates for video
and audio, frame rate, picture resolution, etc. You would then play the
stream using a client player such as QuickTime or VLC (Out-of-the-box
Windows Media player doesn't support MPEG-4). As a cheaper alternative
you could use a computer with an audio grabber and freeware like VLC
(configured as a server rather than client) to accomplish the same
thing. If it's an Apple computer you could use the Darwin streaming
server software. Sincerely,

--
John Wood (Code 5520) e-mail:
Naval Research Laboratory