Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Stroonz Stroonz is offline

Default Brittle plastic?

On Jan 20, 2:15*am, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:
I got rid of my vintage 1995 Sanyo TV because the plastic case was so
brittle it didn't seem capable of safely supporting the weight of the
CRT, but the plastic of my 1976 TV *seems fine. *Both cases were made
of fire retardant ABS, but why was it so much more brittle in the
newer TV?

There was a large batch of TVs from that era with plastic that
deteriorates with age. Most common were Sony, Toshiba, and Hitachi.
I recall a few Panasonics doing the same thing. Years ago, I remember
two guys hauling in a 36 inch Sony into the shop with the TV literally
coming apart in their hands. By the time they put it on the floor, it
looked like a dropped egg.