Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Testing MOT as electromagnet - this just in

Jon Danniken wrote:

Winston wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Winston wrote:
The inductance of that coil fell significantly when you lopped
off the 'I' core, yes?

Yes and no, I suppose G. 'Though I did lop it off, I replaced it
with a shorting bar, so it shouldn't be drastically different.

Now's the time to break out your $0.99 inductance bridge.

I haven't tested this but it looks reasonable:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/BinOfBrett/Inductance_meter.jpg.html

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/BinOfBrett/Inductance_method.jpg.html

You can also measure inductances of this size using your PC and tone
generating software. Wire up the inductor with a capacitor, apply the tone,
and look for the resonant frequency.

I did this a few years ago with a MOT, testing the difference in inductance
by using different sized paper shims between the "E" and the "I"
laminations.

There's a webpage describing this somewhere out there, but of course I can't
find it right now. I think I made the mistake of saving it instead of
adding it to my bookmarks.

It's simple: Connect a known value capacitor across the coil. Put a
1K ohm resistor in series with the generator to the hot side and connect
the ground to the other end of the coil. Then use a scope or AC
voltmeter to look for resonance across the L/C pair.

Teflon coated.